Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Council of Governments?

A Council of Governments is a regional planning organization. There are three ways for towns to administer their Regional Planning Organization; a Council of Governments, a Council of Elected Officials, or a Regional Planning Agency. The board members that make up the Council of Governments are the chief elected official or town manager from each member municipality. A Regional Planning Agency board comprises the chief elected official and two citizens appointed by each member Town.

What happened to the Midstate Regional Planning Agency (MRPA) and the Connecticut River Estuary Regional Planning Agency (CRERPA)?

Both MRPA and CRERPA ceased operations and the Lower Connecticut River Valley Council of Governments became the administrative agency for the region. Coincidentally, the COG on October 1, 2012 officially opened its new office at 145 Dennison Road with an open house celebration.

What does a Regional Planning Organization (RPO) do?

Connecticut’s Regional Planning Organization were formed in the 1960s to provide towns with the ability to share and cooperate on inter-municipal land use (zoning and planning) issues, transportation planning, or other important issues. Where Connecticut does not have a county system of government, Regional Planning Organization provide the conduit for improved planning for land use, transportation, conservation, and economic growth.

Where does River COG funding come from?

The funding for Regional organizations in the State of Connecticut come from multiple sources. This is the case with the RiverCOG as well. Funding includes an annual per capita dues payment from each of the seventeen towns, funds from the Connecticut Department of Transportation, Connecticut Office of Policy and Management and various other sources. An important component of funding is also realized through the acquisition of federal and state grants to conduct work on specific projects. Those grant sources include the Connecticut Office of Policy and Management, the Connecticut DOT, the CT Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, the Connecticut Department of Emergency Management, the Federal Emergency Management Agency and others. Funding is truly "multi-dimensional".

How are Regional Planning Organizations funded?

Each of the member towns pays dues (usually on a per capita basis) toward the operations and staffing of the RPO. Additionally, many of the RPOs received funding through the Federal Highway Administration and Federal Transit Administration to perform transportation planning for the region. Transportation planning is done in cooperation with the Connecticut Department of Transportation. Many RPOs received special grant funding for specific projects such as coastal management, emergency management, housing, economic development, conservation, and mapping. Some RPOs worked with their member towns to provide savings through shared service programs such as: Household Hazardous Waste, On- line permitting, Assessment, Engineering, Agriculture or Watershed Management.

What are the LCRVCOG projects?

The LCRVCOG is currently working on many projects. Some of the projects are legacy projects from the Midstate Regional Planning Organization and the Connecticut River Estuary Regional Planning Agency? Many are transportation projects. The LCRVCOG adopts a new Regional Plan of Conservation and Development and a Regional Transportation Plan within the next two years. Once those plans are complete, the LCRVCOG will have a roadmap for planning, conservation and economic sustainability. Until that time, peruse the website to learn about existing projects and please remember to attend future public workshops on the Regional Plan of Conservation and Development or the Regional Transportation Plan to give the COG your perspective on the future of our regional community.

Where do I find information on Household Hazardous Waste?

On this website, on the home page there are two squares which will direct you to one of two HHW programs. By clicking on one of these squares you will be directed to pages which will give you information on the HHW program for you depending on where you live. One square is labeled Southern HHW. This is HHW program for Chester, Clinton, Deep River, Essex, Haddam, Killingworth, Lyme, Old Lyme, Old Saybrook, and Westbrook. The other square is labeled Northern HHW. This is the HHW program for Cromwell, Durham, East Hampton, Middlefield, Middletown, and Portland. You can also call Janice Ehlemeyer or Judy Snyder for more information at 860-581-8554. Extension 704 (Janice) or Extension 701 (Judy).

If I have a specific disability that requires assistance or need a translation, how do I go about getting information? Please write to us at and we will work a method for providing you with the information or the translation that you need.

Si tengo una discapacidad específica que requiere asistencia o necesita una traducción, ¿cómo puedo obtener información? Por favor escríbanos a y vamos a trabajar un método para proporcionarle la información o la traducción que usted necesita.

如果我有一个特定的需要帮助的残疾或需要翻译,我该如何去获取信息呢?在 ,请写信给我们,我们将努力为您提供的信息或翻译,你需要一个方法。

إذا كنت تعاني من إعاقة معينة تتطلب مساعدة أو تحتاج إلى ترجمة، كيف يمكنني التوجه نحو الحصول على المعلومات؟ يرجى مراسلتنا على وسنعمل طريقة لتوفير لكم مع معلومات أو الترجمة التي تحتاج إليها.

Si j'ai un handicap spécifique qui a besoin d'aide ou avez besoin d'une traduction, comment puis-je faire pour obtenir des informations? S'il vous plaît écrivez-nous à et nous allons travailler une méthode pour vous fournir l'information ou de la traduction que vous avez besoin.

Nếu tôi có một khuyết tật cụ thể mà đòi hỏi phải có sự trợ giúp hoặc cần một bản dịch, làm thế nào để tôi đi về nhận được thông tin? Xin vui lòng viết thư cho chúng tôi tại và chúng tôi sẽ làm việc một phương pháp để cung cấp cho bạn các thông tin hoặc dịch mà bạn cần.

Os oes gennyf anabledd penodol sy'n gofyn am gymorth neu angen cyfieithiad, sut ydw i'n mynd ati i gael gwybodaeth? Ysgrifennwch atom yn a byddwn yn gweithio dull o ddarparu i chi y wybodaeth neu y cyfieithiad sydd ei angen arnoch.

How do I get more information?

LCRVCOG staff are a phone call away at 860-581-8554 and if the person that answers the phone can’t help get you the information you need, we can direct you to the right person.

145 Dennison Road
Essex, CT 06426
(860) 581-8554

Job Posting





Need translation services?