Household Hazardous Waste
Please read the NEW 2020 Covid-19 Procedures for HHW Collections as of May 30, 2020. This document includes important safety information.
The River COG participates in regional recycling coordination and waste management. In 2004 a regional permanent facility was built in Essex for household hazardous waste collections (there are only 3 permanent facilities in CT). The region offers multiple household hazardous waste collection from April to October.
Additional household hazardous waste collection sites are located in East Hampton, Middletown, Cromwell, and Clinton. Please visit the 2020 HHW brochure for information on locations of specific collections.
Guidelines for paper shredding:
- Please limit to 5 bags or boxes approx. 9”h x 18”w x 12”d (about the size of a paper box).
- Paper shredding is for residents’ personal papers with sensitive information and is not for local businesses.
- No junk mail, magazines, books, cards, envelopes, metal-ring binders, etc. will be accepted.
The State of Connecticut now offers disposal programs for some specific products.
- The Paintcare program. You don’t have to wait for an HHW event to responsibly dispose of your paint – click here for more information and disposal locations.
- There is an electronic recycling program at participating transfer stations and/or electronic recycling events.
- The State now has a mattress disposal program at participating transfer stations. You can find more information at www.byebyemattress.com.
- There is also a Statewide recycling program. For information about that program go to www.recyclect.com and learn “What’s in What’s Out and checkout the ‘Recycling Wizard’.